This week’s playlist comes from another local band, the Helsinki-based Limelight Showdown. Having released two EPs already – 2013’s Circles and 2015’s Mode: Crisis – these guys are currently in the studio recording six new songs to be released this spring/summer. This week we’ve got drummer Tuukka Hanhiniemi’s playlist for you!
1. The first song you can remember hearing as a child.
If we don’t count children’s music, I’d say it’s gotta be “Sinä lähdit pois” by Ultra Bra.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving.
“Pretty Fly for a White Guy” by The Offspring, no doubt about it!
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school.
At that time I was in my first ‘proper’ band. We played punk/garage -influenced music and I was blasting MC5 a lot, so I’d have to say “Kick Out the Jams” by MC5.
4. A song or band that got you into metal.
I wouldn’t say this band got me directly into metal, but the album that got me into the whole playing in a rock band thing was Appetite for Destruction By Guns ‘N’ Roses. I know this sounds like such a cliché to say, but when I found that album in my dad’s record collection, put it in the stereo, and “Welcome to the Jungle” started blasting, I was absolutely blown away by it. I remember thinking, “What the fuck is this?!” and I still haven’t gotten bored of that album.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head.
“Skin” by Rag’n’Bone Man. What a tune.
6. Your guity pleasure song/band.
I don’t really consider anything I listen to to be a guilty pleasure, ’cause frankly I don’t really care about what anyone thinks of the music I listen to. But I guess some people might be surprised by the amount of modern pop music I like listening to (stuff like Taylor Swift, Ellie Goulding, The Chainsmokers, and a Finnish ‘party rap’ group called JVG to name a few). I’ll go with “Sorry” by Justin Bieber.
7. The first album you bought with your own money/were really excited to own.
Americana by The Offspring. I got it as gift from my grandma, so I didn’t really buy it, but anyway!
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage.
“Spotlight” by Machine Gun Kelly. Always gets me emotional, haha!
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road.
There are so many! But one that springs to mind with a very particular memory is “Pakko päästä pois” by Tehosekoitin.
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral.
I hadn’t really thought of this one before, so it was kinda hard to pick one. I didn’t want it to be too in your face with the whole death and moving on thing, so I ended up with a beautiful instrumental song called “Kamaloka” by Gogo Penquin.
Check out their music video for their cover of Gwen Stefani’s “What You Waiting For?” here:
Or check out the video for “Anti Hero” here: