If the Phantom Elite name doesn’t sound familiar to you, perhaps Sander Gommans’ name might. This ex-After Forever musician’s project, HDK (Hate, Death, Kill), needed some life breathed into it following the release of Serenades of the Netherworld in 2014, but the band worked so well together that inspiration struck, and thus Phantom Elite was born. On vocals is none other than Marina La Torraca, known largely for her time performing live with Avantasia, and this week we have the playlist of her life for you!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
Hard to say! My mom is an Alice Cooper fan, maybe she played “Billion Dollar Babies” to make me sleep. And maybe that’s why I wouldn’t…
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
A Brazilian version of “I’m Your Lady” by Celine Dion. Still love it, pure cheese.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
“Detroit Rock City” by KISS. A friend of mine and I were addicted to the movie (of the same name). We identified a lot with the outcast-rock-rebel-disco-hating characters.
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
Iron Maiden, definitely.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
“You Oughta Know” by Alanis Morissette. I heard it somewhere a few days ago and it’s still stuck in my head. Incredible song! ?
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Oh my God… do I have to be honest? I love My Chemical Romance. Love it. (All right, it’s out there… don’t hate me!)
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
Most likely still Iron Maiden… probably Brave New World, at the time it was released. But the first album I was ever excited about was Madonna’s The Immaculate Collection, when I was 7.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
I don’t think songs make me wanna do that… but the new Marvel series, Luke Cage, does, haha.
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
I’d have to say “Sweet Home Alabama” [Kansas] or “Walk on the Wild Side” by Lou Reed.
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
I don’t intend on dying… but if I ever have to, “The Show Must Go On.” Because it must.
Or, check out the lyric video for “Siren’s Call”: