If you’re looking into incredible keyboardists from Finland, you may have missed a diamond in the rough. In 2007, Thunderstone faced a problem – there was a tour coming up and Kari Tornack had left his post as the band’s keyboardist. As well, Jens Johansson [Stratovarius] was meant to fill in, but had to cancel. With few options left, the band turned to a fellow who had been in Sonic Pump Studios working on some material for his own band, Status Minor, and that person was Jukka Karinen. He was the first of three pieces that brought this band to their perfect present line-up, and this week we have the playlist of his life for you!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
“Nuku nuku, nurmilintu”
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
A Rölli song. I don’t know/remember the title.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
Helloween’s “Kids of the Century”
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
Helloween got me hooked when I was 11.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
Rölli – “Omituisten otusten kerho.” The circle is closing.
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
No guilt, just pleasure.
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
It may have been Megadeth’s Cryptic Writings.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
Me and this song have not met yet.
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
Leverage’s “Fifteen Years”
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
Chopin’s “Nocturne in C# minor” could be good pick.
If you haven’t seen any of Thunderstone’s comeback gigs from 2016-2017, consider having a look at some of our reports/galleries:
April 2016 – report / gallery
South Park 2016 – report / gallery
November 2016 w/ Stratovarius – report / gallery
January 2017 w/ Sonata Arctica – report / gallery