If the new wave of classic rock has been suiting your taste (Blues Pills, anyone?), you might consider turning your eye toward the Blue Eyed Sons. These Finnish youngsters are heavily influenced by the 60s and 70s, namely bands like Led Zeppelin, The Doors, and Black Sabbath. The band has already played their share of gigs around Helsinki, as well as London, and this week we have the playlist of vocalist Joel Hellström’s life for you!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
Something my dad used to play when we were driving. Some old rock ‘n’ roll.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
The first song I can recall truly loving was probably “In the Shadows” by The Rasmus. I was a kid and it was a heck of a song for me back then.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
Probably “Rainbow in the Dark” by Dio. Later it was “When the Levee Breaks” from Led Zeppelin. Hard to point down a single song from broad period like that.
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
The song or band that got me into the rock and metal I love and play today was a band called Rainbow (one of the bands my dad and uncle used to play to me). Songs that really mesmerized me were “Stargazer” and “Gates of Babylon.”
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
The most recent song to get stuck in my head is probably “Lady in Gold” by Blues Pills.
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Basically everything from my youth before my teenage years. Things from early/mid 2000-2006. Bands like Evanescence or Within Temptation, The Rasmus. “Freestyler” from Bomfunk MC’s was amazing when I was a kid.
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
The first album I bought with my own money or I was really excited about, was some Vinyl LP from flea market. It had some 80’s metal songs on it. Later I grew really into early Zeppelin, Sabbath, and The Doors albums. Zeppelin II and IV were and are really important to me.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
These are plenty. I can name “Riders on the Storm” and “Five to One” from The Doors; “Atom Heart Mother” and the whole Dark Side of the Moon album by Pink Floyd.
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
“Highway Star” by Deep Purple, “Neon Knights” from Dio-era Sabbath, and “Roadhouse Blues” from The Doors. These are plenty too.
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
Song called “The End” by Pearl Jam. It’s one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard alongside “Black” from the same band.
Also “This is Your Life” by the great Ronnie James Dio.
Check out the video for “Crawl to the Shade” here:
Or check them out live at Bar Loose in Helsinki on 04.02.2017!