Block Buster is a young hard rock band from Kuopio, Finland, formed by brothers Aarni & Jaakko Metsäpelto. With only two EPs under their belt, the band has shared line-ups with many household names such as Bon Jovi, Gojira, and Children of Bodom. Earlier this year, Block Buster released a new single called “Bulletproof” and are currently working on their full length debut album. This week’s playlist comes from none other than Jaakko Metsäpelto.
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
The first song I remember hearing is probably this one song from Jerry Jeff Walker, can’t remember the name of the song or album right now but I remember the album cover; it was a part of my dad’s record collection and I think he still has that CD. I used to play air drums to that all day long when I was about 4 years old.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
I liked a lot of songs of different styles before discovering rock n’ roll, and I gotta admit, just like every other kid in my class in first grade, I really loved “Freestyler” by Bomfunk MCs. Hah! And The Simpsons theme. Let’s say I loved them both equally!
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
Again, it’s hard to pick just one… basically any song from the Detroit Rock City soundtrack. I’ll say “Love Gun” by KISS and “Problem Child” by AC/DC. Obviously I still love those songs so I guess it’s not just a teenage-era thing.
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
AC/DC. I borrowed Let There Be Rock album and the Family Jewels DVD set from library and there was no turning back. Aarni (my brother) got into them big-time too, so we put all our money together and within few months we owned the whole discography, including all the live DVDs and such. We also had many of the albums on both CD and Vinyl. We used to spend days and days watching those DVDs and listening to all the albums, wanting to become as good as them.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
I’ve been listening to Ghost a lot lately and the main riff from “Elizabeth” has been stuck in my head for several days.
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
My girlfriend listens to a lot of Lana Del Rey at home and because of that I’ve become somewhat of a fan myself too… if that counts as ‘guilty pleasure’!
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
Led Zeppelin ll might have been the first.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
Any song from the album These Days by Jonas and I. A great pop/folk band from our hometown, Kuopio; check’em out if you haven’t yet!
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
“Born to Kill” by Airbourne.
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
I don’t know… I would like my funeral to be my last party, so you might as well play “Party Hard” by Andrew W.K.
Check these guys out on Spotify: