Melodic folk metal act Frosttide has been around since 2009. Known for sharing the stage with other Finnish folk/Viking legends like Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Turisas, and Wintersun, these guys are a worthy act if you’re into that Jari Mäenpää type of shred with that classic folk sound for which Finland is so well known. With two albums under their belt as of 2015, these guys are on our list of bands to keep an eye on. Here is the playlist of keyboardist Felipe Muñoz’ life!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
I would say Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb.” My father used to play The Wall on the radio while we were driving through the desert in northern Chile. The atmosphere of the song is amazing and has one of my favorite guitar solos in it. Brings back great memories.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
Nightwish – “Ghost Love Score.” I did not listen much to the band in the early 2000s, but when I saw the performance of this song in the End of an Era DVD back in 2006, I became a fan. Since then Nightwish has been a huge influence musically. Love their work, especially that track!
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
Children of Bodom – “You’re Better Off Dead.” Actually, the whole Hate Crew Deathroll album! Good times!
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
Sonata Arctica’s “Fullmoon.” I already listened to Metallica, Megadeth, and Iron Maiden back in the days, but when my brother gave me the album Ecliptica in 2001, I was completely sold! I did not know that keyboards could have such a big role in a metal band! This song got me into Finnish metal, playing keyboards, wanting move to Finland and to be in a metal band.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
Devin Townsend – “Failure.” Looking forward to the new album!
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Bon Jovi – their whole discography.
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
Sonata Arctica – Songs of Silence Live in Tokyo, 2001. Was so excited to hear a live album from them. So I got it when it was released. I practiced playing along to this album so many times (I still do) that I ended up learning the entire setlist!
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
Symphony X – “Paradise Lost.” Although Strapping Young Lad – “Shitstorm” is also a great tune to relax and enjoy my afternoon tea =)
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
Deep Purple – “Burn”
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
Sentenced – “End of the Road”