There are a lot of legendary female vocalists that come out of the Netherlands, but what about the legendary men? The first name that popped into our mind was none other than Arjen Lucassen, the mastermind behind Ayreon, the creator of Stream of Passion, and one of the founders of The Gentle Storm (among others)! We got in touch with him and he shared the playlist of his life with us!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
“El Paso” by Marty Robbins. My father played it all the time. I recently covered (well, butchered) it; you can find it on YouTube.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
“A Day in the Life” by the Beatles. I was 7. Still the best song ever.
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
“You Really Got Me” by Van Halen. The only rock song they had in the Jukebox that was filled with terrible disco crap. I put it there!
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple.
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
The theme song of True Blood, just because I’m re-watching the series right now. I’m gonna do real bad things with you 🙂
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
“Yes Sir I Can Boogie” by Baccara. It’s so incredibly bad… that I have to hear it over and over again!
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
Pink Floyd – Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I bought it together with my neighbor friend in the late sixties. Yes.. I’m that old.
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
Definitely Gary Jules’ “Mad World,” such a wonderful song and interpretation.
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
Any Rammstein track! I guess “Mein Herz Brennt.”
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
Monty Python – “Always Look at the Bright Side of Life.” I had a great life, so that should be celebrated.