From Grotto is a four piece, Helsinki-based psychedelic rock band, influenced by ambient, jazz, trance, funk, prog, and other genres. They released their first demo in late 2015 and have been playing a few gigs here and there since then, with more to come! This week we have the playlist of guitarist Antti Pasonen’s life!
More From Grotto over here!
1. The first song you remember hearing as a child
Queen – “A Kind of Magic”; the sound of this song and album somehow strongly reminds me of my early childhood. My dad was and still is an enthusiastic music fan and I think Queen was quite often spinning on the player during those years.
2. The first song you can recall ever really and truly loving
Leevi and the Leavings – “Elämä ikkunan takana.” As a child I had a portable CD-player, and Leevi’s Keskiviikko -collection album was my absolute favorite. It sounds quite depressing, but it’s not!
3. A song that you loved as a teenager/reminds you of high school
Metallica – “Battery”; first steps into the world of metal music. Loved the aggression, and the speed!
4. The song or band that got you into metal music (or the current genre you play in)
Kingston Wall – II. This record introduced me to psychedelic rock, and is still quite a big influence. Best Finnish band e-v-e-r! (so far) 😉
5. The most recent song to get stuck in your head
Kaleidobolt – “Rocket to the Moon”; great stuff from Kaleidobolt’s first album released last year. I saw them the first time playing live few months ago and the show was intense!
6. Your guilty pleasure song/band
Paramore – “Misery Business”… heh! I can’t be very ashamed of anything I listen to. Though, somehow this still feels a bit nasty… can’t figure out why!
7. The first album you bought with your own money/the first album you were really excited to own
Bomfunk MC’s – In Stereo; oh boy… “Freestyler”!
8. A song that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a hot beverage
Bo Hansson – “Första vandringen” and the rest of the album Sagan Om Ringen – a record sailing through the world of Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy. Hansson went to a summer cottage located somewhere in the islands near Stockholm and spent the whole winter of 1970 there composing and recording this masterpiece. Strongly recommended if you like dreamy stuff!
9. A song to blast at full volume while you’re on the road
The Jimi Hendrix Experience – “Crosstown Traffic”; My dear summertime car is not a rocket, but a steady ride. And funky as hell!
10. The song you’d most like to be played at your funeral
Black Sabbath – “Planet Caravan.”